Android Developer - FoodSwitch
The George Institute for Global Health
The George’ is 700+ people focused on improving the health of millions of people worldwide. A medical research institute affiliated with leading universities and with projects in approximately 50 countries, we are challenging the status quo in healthcare to find the best ways to prevent and treat chronic disease and injury, and to influence policy and practice worldwide. Our innovative commercial enterprises help maximize our impact.
About The George Institute India
The George Institute, a wholly owned legal not-for-profit Indian research institute, has been conducting research related activities in India since 2002. The George Institute India’s mission mirrors that of the parent organization, namely the discovery and implementation of solutions to chronic and disabling health problems through research, policy development and capacity building.
A number of large-scale projects in population, health systems and clinical research, funded by a diverse group of sponsors, both public and private, are conducted in India. The George Institute India comprises two distinct operating groups: Research and Development, and Infrastructure and Resources. It has two separate offices - in Hyderabad and New Delhi, where the research staff and senior management are based.
The global prevalence of diet related non-communicable disease is a systemic issue - a problem of economics, the regulatory environment, and the increasing consumption of packaged foods.
Our innovation is FoodSwitch - a data and technology platform that captures and profiles the nutrition and composition information of a country’s food supply, and then disseminates the data back to governments, industry, and consumers to improve the food environment and peoples’ diets.
The role exists to support the ongoing development of FoodSwitch and its global roll out. Our ambition is to operate FoodSwitch across thirty countries. This requires an efficient and sustainable technical platform and evolving features to ensure the relevance of our product.
To achieve its impact driven purpose, FoodSwitch also needs to operate as a successful commercial business – continually developing and evolving to meet the needs of commercial opportunities and customers.
FoodSwitch has technical aspects that span data collection and processing, data analytics, databases and content management front end, and other front-end applications – mobile apps, website and APIs.
The Android App Developer is responsible for the design, development, testing and deployment of new features for the FoodSwitch suite of apps, as well as managing their ongoing support and maintenance.
Generally, the role is accountable to ensure the apps operate to global standards:
- provide high quality user experience
- are fully compliant with all operating system requirements and their ongoing updates and
- are fully complaint with all legal and security requirements
Additionally, the position will keep current with UX and technical developments in the app and android space and will continue to identify opportunities to improve our operational performance to optimize quality, speed, and cost.
The Android Developer – FoodSwitch will report to the Technical Manager - FoodSwitch, and will work closely with other members of the FoodSwitch team, in-house developers and external providers, including:
- Data Team
- iOS developer
- QA Engineer
- Third party supplier - development team
Operational interaction with
- Other technical, suppliers and partners where appropriate
- Contract UI/UX Designers
Duties and Key Responsibilities
- Design and build applications for the native Android platform
- Unit-test code for robustness, usability and general reliability
- Work with API's and link with internal datasets and external partners
- Work on bug fixing and improving application performance
- Research and scope high quality solutions to projects.
- Continuously research, evaluate, and implement new technologies to improve User Experience and maximize our development efficiency
- Maintain high quality output and minimize re-work
- Document and test solutions and revisions.
- Participate in the solution design of new features and functionality
- Lead, contribute and engage in process ceremonies as appropriate
- Support the Technical Manager to develop and deliver the sprint plan
- Support the Technical Manager to manage the third-party suppliers and their contribution to the plan
- Work with the iOS development team to coordinate development and delivery.
As a team member
- Take responsibility for personal learning and development and for setting achievable and meaningful work objectives and managing personal targets, meeting obligations of The Institute’s Performance Management and Development policy.
- Demonstrate commitment to The Institute’s organizational values, including performing to an exceptionally high ethical standard and focus on integrity, collaboration and teamwork in all efforts.
Work, health and safety
- Comply with Work Health and Safety legislation and operate in accordance with established Occupational Health and Safety practice and procedures at the Institute.
- Promote and contribute to a safe, secure environment for staff and visitors.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Degree in Computer Science, or a related education
- At least 4 years’ experience in developing native android applications
- A familiarity with API, Android, database design, third-party libraries, MySQL and CMS would be an advantage
- Ability to design and document test cases with experience in testing tools such as Selenium and Cucumber
- Working in an Agile / Scrum methodology would be an advantage
- Experience working with third-party vendors and partnerships would be an advantage
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Personal accountability to deliver high quality work on time
- Good communication and interpersonal skills with strong English, both written and verbal
- Interest in health and nutrition
- Strong interest in keeping up to date with the latest technology / practice
Reporting To: Technical Manager, FoodSwitch
Location: Hyderabad, India
Division: Food Policy
Type of employment: Full-time
How to apply:
Interested candidates should send their resume with full contact details, current and expected CTC/salary. Clearly mentioning the job title Android Developer - FoodSwitch in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org by the 15-Apr-2022
Our big and bold mission to improve the health of millions of people worldwide needs a diverse and innovative team to deliver it. So, we foster a dynamic, inclusive and flexible workplace where each individual can bring their best selves to work.
Everyone is encouraged to apply, including people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, people with a disability, people of all gender identities and sexual orientations, and mature-aged adults.
Type of career: Jobs
Application close date: 15/04/2022