About The George Institute
We are a medical research institute affiliated with leading universities aiming to challenge the status quo in health care. With 700+ people around the world, and projects in over 40 countries, our Strategy 2025 is all about impact – specifically, the impact of The George Institute’s activities on the health of millions of people, particularly those living in disadvantaged circumstances around the world.
Context and Role
The Finance Assistant is responsible for day-to-day accounting of transactions and ensuring the authenticity, integrity, existence, accuracy, authorisation and verifiability of all financial transactions recorded in the accounting system. The position is based in Delhi but is subject to change as per organisation’s requirement.
The Finance Assistant position has no direct reports. The position reports to the Finance Manager.
Duties and Key Responsibilities
- Process, record and maintain all expense transactions in Tally with due consideration to applicability of TDS and GST on reverse charge basis if applicable
- Ensure that all accounting entries are entered on the same day
- Filing of vouchers and maintenance of records on daily basis
- Ensure accuracy of project codes /cost centres while recording transactions
- Ensure strict compliance with project codes /cost centres, allocation and apportioning techniques for jointly incurred expenses by two or more projects, and update accounting system as per donor/parent company reporting requirements
- Ensure bank reconciliation statements are prepared for sign off by Finance & Admin Manager
- Manage accounting of fixed assets, including project assets, depreciation, maintenance of fixed assets register, physical verification of assets and reconciliation adjustments
- Support timely completion of audits by providing required information relevant to areas of responsibility
- Liaising with banks for routine work and ensure completeness of documentation for foreign payments, if any.
- As part of month-end process, ensure entries have been passed for income, unutilised grants, overheads recovery, accruals, provision for expenses etc.
- Maintain track of bills received and support in processing all payment requests after satisfactory verification of authorizations and submitted supporting documents (invoices etc.)
- Support the Finance Manager in admin matters as & when required
As a Team Member
- Participate in team meetings and activities
- Participate in objective setting, performance management
- Participate in special projects to improve processes, tools, systems and organisation
- Be willing to travel as per requirements of the organisation
As a Team Manager
- Ensure direct reports understand and comply with GI’s Policies and procedures, standard operating practices, ethical practice (with respect to research) and the legislative environment.
- Be responsible for managing performance of direct reports, including the completion of plans and agreeing on work and personal objectives and reviewing such plans and objectives, in accordance with GI’s Performance Management and Development Policy.
- Act as a role model and ensure the team’s commitment to GI’s values, ensuring direct reports perform to a high ethical standard and focus on integrity, collaboration and teamwork in all efforts.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- B.Com/ M.Com with 3-5 years of accounting experience
- Familiarity with FCRA compliance
- Fluent in English and Hindi languages
- Superior understanding of accounting concepts and principles
- Experience in Admin work will be an advantage
- Excellent fluency with Tally ERP 9 and knowledge of all features and functionalities
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (especially Excel and Word)
- Effective communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Methodical with very high level of attention to detail
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Team player with ability to be flexible and adaptable in the face of changing organisational priorities and ambiguous environments
- Excellent prioritizing and time management skills
- Self-starter with a drive to excel while achieving results
- Very high level of commitment and integrity
Work, Health and Safety
- Comply with GI’s Work Health and Safety Policy and related procedures, and similar policies which apply when visiting the premises of affiliates and collaborating sites.
- Promote and contribute to a safe, secure environment for staff and visitors.
- Ensure direct reports understand and comply with safe work practice and procedures
Location: Delhi, India
How to apply:
Interested candidates should send their resume with full contact details, clearly mentioning the job title ‘Finance Assistant’ in the subject line to email@example.com by the 10th March, 2022
Our big and bold mission to improve the health of millions of people worldwide needs a diverse and innovative team to deliver it. So, we foster a dynamic, inclusive and flexible workplace where each individual can bring their best selves to work.
Everyone is encouraged to apply, including people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, people with a disability, people of all gender identities and sexual orientations, and mature-aged adults.
Type of career: Jobs
City: New Delhi
Application close date: 10/03/2022