About The George Institute India
The George Institute, a wholly owned legal not-for-profit Indian research institute, has been conducting research related activities in India since 2002. The George Institute India’s mission mirrors that of the parent organization, namely the discovery and implementation of solutions to chronic and disabling health problems through research, policy development and capacity building.
A number of large-scale projects in population, health systems and clinical research, funded by a diverse group of sponsors, both public and private, are conducted in India. The George Institute India comprises two distinct operating groups: Research and Development, and Infrastructure and Resources. It has two separate offices - in Hyderabad and New Delhi, where the research staff and senior management are based.
Context and Role
The ARISE Hub: Accountability and Responsiveness in Informal Settlements for Equity will address the intractable development challenge of: ill-health, inequity and insecurity in informal urban settlements in Low and Middle Income Countries in the context of complex and often dysfunctional governance arrangements. This will contribute to three GCRF challenge areas: 2: Sustainable health and well-being; 8: Sustainable cities and communities; and 12: Reduce poverty and inequality, including gender inequities.
The ARISE Hub study sites are located in Shimla, Bengaluru, Vijaywada & Hyderabad. Four parallel linked research programmes will be conducted in these sites. In addition, the Hub will actively engage with other Hub partners nationally and internationally. The ARISE research programme involves four inter-related areas of (a) Conceptual, methodological and theoretical development; (b) Empirical case studies; (c) Collaborative development and piloting of social accountability strategies for equity, equality, and well- being and (d) Building and sustaining an equitable partnership. The Research Assistant’s role is to contribute to all aspects of ARISE related work. She/he is expected to work closely with the team members. This position requires that the appointee be based in Bengaluru , and should be willing and able to undertake domestic and international travel, as and when required. The appointment is for a period of two years, inclusive of a probation period of 6 months, and holds the possibility of extension, dependent on the performance of the candidate. The appointee will have the opportunity to pursue Doctoral level studies using data from the project, if s/he gets into a programme and is able to secure funds. The institute will actively facilitate and encourage that process.
The appointee for this position will report to the Senior Research Fellow and Head, ARISE HUB at the George Institute for Global Health, India
Duties and Key Responsibilities
- Contribute to all aspects of the current project at the site level. Work closely with other senior and junior staff to make sure that the scope and direction of the project is on schedule, at all sites
- Assist in the development of study related documents, reports, newsletters, and presentations, and communicate regular updates of the study to all staff (internal and external)
- Coordinate the project at the local sites: guide recruitment / consenting of study participants, track participation activities; validate quality of data and evaluate consistency of data
- Access, review and collate relevant peer-reviewed literature as well as non-peer-reviewed reports – support in the conduct of reviews and conduct research at study sites under the guidance of the research team
- Keep abreast of current developments in research of relevance to the Institute; providing a source of information to other researchers within the Institute
- Contribute to the preparation of journal publications, media reports and other public affairs outputs
- Contribute to local, national and international meetings of relevance to the area of research expertise and develop working partnerships within relevant research networks
The Research Assistant would be expected to: undertake any additional activities that Head, ARISE HUB may deem necessary for the project.
The Research Assistant should also: help in the administration of the project and associated activities under the guidance of the Head/ARISE HUB.
As a Team Member
- Participate in team meetings and activities relating to [ARISE HUB] and own work area;
- Participate in special projects to improve processes, tools, systems and organisation;
- Take responsibility for personal learning and development and for setting achievable and meaningful work objectives and managing personal targets, meeting obligations of the Institute’s Performance Management and Development Policy;
- Demonstrate commitment to GI’s values, including performing to an exceptionally high ethical standard and focus on integrity, collaboration and teamwork in all efforts.
Work, Health and Safety
- Comply with GI’s Work Health and Safety Policy and related procedures, and similar policies which apply when visiting the premises of affiliates and collaborating sites.
- Promote and contribute to a safe, secure environment for staff and visitors.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Qualifications: Masters qualification in Economics/Sociology/Anthropology/Political Science/Development Studies
- Strong problem solving, analytical skills, and proven strategic thinking;
- Demonstrated resourcefulness, with ability to influence others to achieve common goals;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with high level of proficiency in English and the ability to work well autonomously;
- Excellent team-work[/leadership] skills, with demonstrated ability to collaborate in small teams and with a wide range of varying stakeholders;
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility and to be adaptable to changing organisational priorities and ambiguous environments;
- Strong focus on producing the highest quality of work and on ensuring optimum accuracy of outputs;
- Well organised and efficient, with the capacity to work under pressure;
- Since the location of work is in Bengaluru, working knowledge of Kannada is desirable ( And demonstrate a willingness to learn the language)
Reporting To: Senior Research Fellow
Location: Bengaluru, India
Fixed term (Duration): Fixed term (March 2022-Feb 2024)
How to apply:
Interested candidates should send their resume with full contact details, current and expected CTC/salary. Clearly mentioning the job title Research Assistant in the subject line to email@example.com by the 26-Feb-2022
Our big and bold mission to improve the health of millions of people worldwide needs a diverse and innovative team to deliver it. So, we foster a dynamic, inclusive and flexible workplace where each individual can bring their best selves to work.
Everyone is encouraged to apply, including people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, people with a disability, people of all gender identities and sexual orientations, and mature-aged adults.
Type of career: Jobs
City: Bengaluru, India
Application close date: 26/02/2022