Research Assistant / Officer
About The George Institute
We are a research institute affiliated with leading universities aiming to challenge the status quo in health care. With 700+ people around the world, and projects in over 40 countries, our Strategy 2025 is all about impact – specifically, the impact of The George Institute’s activities on the health of millions of people, particularly those living in disadvantaged circumstances around the world.
Our strategy focuses on three key research priorities:
Better Treatments: finding better treatments for the world’s biggest health problems Better Care: transforming primary health care to support better health for more people Healthier Societies: harnessing the power of communities, governments and markets to improve health
Our innovative commercial enterprises help maximise our impact.
The George Institute India
The George Institute, a wholly owned legal not-for-profit Indian research institute, has been conducting research related activities in India since 2002. The George Institute India’s mission mirrors that of the parent organization, namely the discovery and implementation of solutions to chronic and disabling health problems through research, policy development and capacity building.A number of large-scale projects in population, health systems and clinical research, funded by a diverse group of sponsors, both public and private, are conducted in India. The George Institute India comprises two distinct operating groups: Research and Development, and Infrastructure and Resources. It has two separate offices - in Hyderabad and New Delhi, where the research staff and senior management are based.
Context and Role
The defining feature of modern medicine and global health is its practice being informed by evidence gathered from exhaustive and systematic assessment of the literature available and critically assessed and contextualised to improve the health of millions of people worldwide. Doing better research to improve lives also means doing research on research. As such, one of the priority research areas within the George Institute, is the Meta-Research & Evidence Synthesis Unit (MRES Unit). The MRES Unit focus on
- conduct and methodologies on evidence synthesis (evidence gap maps, qualitative evidence synthesis, rapid evidence synthesis, systematic reviews , individual participant data meta-analysis )
- meta-research( research on methods, reporting, and policy/needs alignment)
- knowledge translation( clinical practice guidelines development, policy uptake and public engagement).
Directly reports to Co-Head, Meta-Research & Evidence Synthesis Unit .
The Research Assistant/ Officer would work with with a core team of 5-7 people(with members in India and Australia) , which continually collaborates with other divisions /units in different offices of Institute, and a wide section of external stakeholders including government , public agencies and multi-national stakeholders.
Duties and Key Responsibilities
Research Assistant/ Officer would in the course of his/her professional work :
- Perform screening of studies and data extraction, analysis (SwiM/ qualitative evidence synthesis/CASP/GRADE, meta-analysis ), and risk of bias assessments for different types of evidence synthesis liasoning from other team members
- Maintain good communication within the project team via email, reports and teleconferences
- Can validate data and evaluate consistency of data
- Write reports and journal publications
- Support teaching , policy and public engagement initiatives with support from other team members
The Research Assistant/ Officer should also:
- participate in projects to document and improve processes, tools, systems and organization and learning and development activities
- Assist in in preparing Research Ethics Committee submissions
- Support organization of local, national, and international meetings / training / seminars.
As a Team Member
- Participate in team meetings and activities relating to [MERS Unit] and own work area;
- Participate in special projects to improve processes, tools, systems and organisation;
- Take responsibility for personal learning and development and for setting achievable and meaningful work objectives and managing personal targets, meeting obligations of the Institute’s Performance Management and Development Policy;
- Demonstrate commitment to GI’s values, including performing to an exceptionally high ethical standard and focus on integrity, collaboration and teamwork in all efforts.
Work, Health and Safety
The Research Fellow should also:
- Comply with GI’s Work Health and Safety Policy and related procedures, and similar policies which apply when visiting the premises of affiliates and collaborating sites.
- Promote and contribute to a safe, secure environment for staff and visitors.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Qualifications: Masters level qualification in public health/ health systems/ health policy / public policy / community medicine/ social sciences (with health-related specialisation or experience) * .
- Experience in conduct of primary quantitative research
- High level of proficiency in English including in writing;
- Demonstrated experience in conducting evidence synthesis or meta-research
- Work experience of 0-2 years for Research Assistant & 1-3 years for Research Officer
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to collaborate in teams and with a wide range of varying stakeholders;
- Assist in preparing Research Ethics Committee submissions.
- Strong focus on methodologically riguorous work , ability to see the big picture, whilst still maintaining a focus on detail and implementation;
- Ability and willingness to travel (subject to COVID-19 restrictions)
*Formal educational qualification might be relaxed when there is published work or if there is work experience of specific relevance.
Co-Head, Meta-Research & Evidence Synthesis
Number of positions
Delhi with flexibilities for work from home owing to COVID-19
Open ended / Fixed term (Duration)
Fixed Term till 30 June 2023 but may be renewed
How to apply
Interested candidates should send their CV with full contact details, current and expected CTC/salary. Clearly mentioning the job title Research Officer MRES Unit OR Research Asistant MRES Unit in the subject line to email@example.com by the 24th May 2022. Please do not apply to both positions.
Our big and bold mission to improve the health of millions of people worldwide needs a diverse and innovative team to deliver it. So we foster a dynamic, inclusive and flexible workplace where each individual can bring their best selves to work.
Everyone is encouraged to apply, including people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, people with a disability, people of all gender identities and sexual orientations, and mature-aged adults.
Type of career: Jobs
City: New Delhi
Application close date: 24/05/2022