The Research Manager is a member of the Research team. The role is a 0.6 full time equivalent (FTE) part-time role and involves being responsible for providing high level advice, oversight and support to the reaerch team in the areas of quality, management, standardisation and development of processes and procedures to ensure that new and ongoing research work processes are logistically sound, efficient and appropriately resourced. The role also involves seeking and managing research opportunities for new investment and capacity development.
The position directly reports to Deputy Director and Head of Research
Duties and Key Responsibilities
- Resonsible for advertising funding opportunities relevant to India staff
- Liaising with funders regarding queries or further information about funding opportunities
- Checking applications for compliance (to ensure that once submitted, applications are not rejected as ineligible)
- Management of internal processes when it comes to internal academic review of funding applications
- Liaising with finance again funders when it comes to management of awarded grants (e.g. in relation to financial reports, progress and final reports, etc.)
- Liaising with HR when it comes to new management of new fellowships and postgraduate scholarships.
- Collecting information and updating central databases including publication database, database of active projects at the Institute and database of funding applications.
- Preparation of reports on publications, funding applications submitted / awarded
- Management of research fora where new ideas are presented;
- Organising practice interviews for fellowship applications
- Student matters – especially, scholarship applications
- Help with organizing the Research Advisory Committee Meetings and Ethics Committee Meetings
- Coordination with Global Research team and those in other TGI Offices
As a Team Member:
- Participate in team meetings and activities related and own work area;
- Participate in special projects to improve processes, tools, systems and organisation;
- Take responsibility for personal learning and development and for setting achievable and meaningful work objectives and managing personal targets, meeting obligations of the Institute’s Performance Management and Development Policy;
- Demonstrate commitment to GI’s values, including performing to an exceptionally high ethical standard and focus on integrity, collaboration and teamwork in all efforts.
As a Manager:
- Ensure direct reports understand and comply with GI’s Policies and procedures, standard operating practices, ethical practice (with respect to research) and the legislative environment.
- Be responsible for managing performance of direct reports, including the completion of plans and agreeing on work and personal objectives and reviewing such plans and objectives, in accordance with GI’s Performance Management and Development Policy.
- Act as a role model and ensure the team’s commitment to GI’s values, ensuring direct reports perform to a high ethical standard and focus on integrity, collaboration and teamwork in all efforts.
Work, Health and Safety
- Comply with GI’s Work Health and Safety Policy and related procedures, and similar policies which apply when visiting the premises of affiliates and collaborating sites.
- Promote and contribute to a safe, secure environment for staff and visitors.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Masters degree or above in a medical, public health, or science related field
- Minimum of 5 years experience in research management/service and risk management.
- Knowledge of medical terminology and high proficiency in Microsoft Word / Excel / Powerpoint / Outlook
- Fluent spoken and written English
- Highly developed communication and consultation skills, particularly the ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders at a senior level - management, academic and administrative staff - as well as with research students and other research personnel
- Excellent analytical, project management, and problem solving skills
- Experience and understanding of the management of research contracts, intellectual property and commercialisation of research outcomes
- Demonstrated commitment to quality assurance and continuous improvement in administrative and work processes
- Sound budgeting and business knowledge skills
- Ability to see the big picture, yet still focus on detail
- Conscientious and mature in daily work, particularly in dealing with sensitive or confidential matters; and has a high level of initiative and able to work independently and reliably
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and work under pressure
How to apply:
Your application should include your comnplete CV with full contact details of three referees. Interested candidates should send their applications to email@example.com by January 15, 2018