Senior Research Fellow
JOB TITLE:Senior Research Fellow
REPORTING TO:Head, Injury Division
LOCATION: New Delhi, India
FULLTIME EQUIVALENT:40 hrs/wk, 2 years fixed term contract
About The George Institute
The George Institute for Global Health is a not-for-profit health research institute. Our mission is to improve the health of millions of people worldwide by providing the best research evidence to guide global health decisions and by engaging with decision makers to enact change. We focus our efforts in Australia, Asia and the developing world where we work with populations in which there is disadvantage and inequity. We lead large-scale priority-driven research projects that build regional capacity and we strengthen health systems to improve control of common serious diseases and injuries.
The Institute has a number of major operating groups: Research and Development; Infrastructure and Resources; George Foundation; and George Enterprises of which George Clinical is responsible for clinical trials research. Globally, the numerous divisions, programs and units oversee the conduct of a range of large-scale international and regional projects funded by a diverse group of sponsors, both public and private. Turnover is approximately $46 million per annum. The George Institute currently employs almost 350 staff in its offices in Sydney, Beijing, Hyderabad, Delhi and Oxford, and regularly hosts visiting scholars from many countries.
More than 80 projects are conducted at approximately 400 centers in more than 40 countries worldwide. While Asia is a major focus, the George Institute is also active throughout Europe, North America, and Australasia. The George Institute also provides strategic consulting and operational services to external clients in the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries.
The George Institute is dedicated to the recruitment, development, and retention of the best people from around the world. The pursuit of academic, scientific and operational excellence in a “can do” culture is actively promoted in all our activities. For more information about the Institute, visit www.georgeinstitute.org
The George Institute India
The George Institute has been conducting research and related activities in India since 2002. The George Institute India is a wholly owned legal not-for-profit Indian research institute. The George Institute India’s mission mirrors that of the parent organization, namely the discovery and implementation of solutions to chronic and disabling health problems through research, policy development and capacity building.
A number of large-scale projects in population, health systems and clinical research, funded by a diverse group of sponsors, both public and private, are conducted in India. The George Institute India comprises two distinct operating groups: Research and Development, and Infrastructure and Resources. It has two separate offices - in Hyderabad and New Delhi, where the research staff and senior management are based.
Research Program Overview
The injury division conducts several global unintentional injury projects. The research areas of the division includes observational and intervention studies in road traffic injury, burns, drowning and trauma rehabilitation, in India.
The Project involves:
1. Development of unintentional injury surveillance system in India.
2. Research in developing and testing home/community based rehabilitation programs after musculoskeletal and burn injury across multiple sites in India, Nepal and Bangladesh.
3. Secondary data analysis, risk mapping and development of drowning reduction programs in India.
4. The INORMUS Study (International Orthopaedic Multi Centre Study in Fracture Care), funded by the National Health and Medical Research Centre and a partnership project with McMasters University. This is a large observational study of 40 000 patients at 40 sites in 18 low and middle income countries. Several countries across Asia such as India, China, Nepal, Vietnam, Thailand, and Pakistan are participating in the study. There is potential to develop trials based on this global trial. Further details on the project can be accessed through www.inormus.ca
This is an exciting opportunity for a person keen on developing a career in the field of global injury public health. The role offers a prospect of working on a range of multi- centre projects in collaboration with some of the world’s leading injury researchers, clinicians and academic partners. The Senior Research fellow is expected to contribute and build the research initiatives of the Injury division and develop his/her research expertise through the pursuit of defined research projects relevant to injury research in low and middle income countries.
The Senior Research Fellow reports to the Head, Injury Division, The George Institute for Global Health. The Senior Research Fellow will work closely with a number of positions:
• Head of Research & Development, India Office
• Director, Injury Division, Australia
• International investigative teams on the range of projects as relevant.
• Relevant personnel’s from funding organizations.
• Project Managers and the investigative team at each site.
Duties and Key Responsibilities
• Synthesizing literature and contributing to /or leading systematic reviews
• Report writing
• Preparation of Human Research Ethics Committee (HREC) and Governance submissions
• Initiate and conduct research under limited supervision
• Contribute towards building future projects and grant applications
• Effectively produce and maintain project data. Conduct data analysis and prepare data for publications and reporting.
• Regularly update study tracking tools and systems
• Manage effective communication with internal and external study staff and key stakeholders.
• Adhere to all study protocols and participate in protocol training sessions as required.
• Adhere to safety policies and study SOPs, as outlined by The George Institute.
• Adhere to the workplace policies and procedures of individual hospital study sites, as required.
• Attend study team meetings and appropriately represent The George Institute and the study at all times while located at clinical sites.
• Other tasks as directed by the senior investigative team.
As a Team Member:
• Participate in team meetings and activities
• Participate in objective setting, performance management
• Participate in special projects to improve processes, tools, systems and organization
Occupational Health and Safety
• Comply with OH&S legislation and operate in accordance with established OH&S practice and procedures at The George Institute
• Promote and contribute to a safe, secure environment for staff and visitors
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
• Tertiary qualifications (MD/PhD) in community medicine, public health, epidemiology or a related science with research experience of 3.5 years.
• Experience within epidemiology, injury prevention, health promotion, allied health environment or equivalent
• High level epidemiological and bio-statistical skills
• Track record in published peer reviewed journal articles
• Experience in qualitative methods would be advantageous
• Excellent collaborative and networking, and time management skills
• Excellent written and verbal English communication skills; confident interpersonal skills
• Attention to detail and rigorous methodological approach
• Strong focus on quality of work and maintenance of excellent records
• Excellent interpersonal skills, presentation skills and the ability to work well and flexibly
• Ability to work well and flexibly i.e. autonomously, in small teams and with a wide range of varying stakeholders
• Ability and willingness to travel
• Strong leadership and mentoring skills
How to apply:
Your application should include: CV with full contact details.
Interested candidates should send their applications to email@example.com
by 22 December 2016, clearly mentioning the job title in the subject.
Type of career: Jobs
City: New Delhi
Application close date: 22/12/2016